Phillp H. Shecter received his Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from the University of San Francisco in 1965 and his Juris Doctor degree in law from the University of Santa Clara in 1968. He has been certified by the State Bar of California as a specialist in family law, continuously since 1980.
Phil has also been recognized by the California Trial Lawyers Association in the areas of trial lawyer, general personal injury, product liability and family law.
He arbitrates civil matters for the Superior Courts of San Mateo County; previously sat as a Judge Pro Tem in the San Mateo County Superior Court, handling settlement conferences, the family court calendar, and trials; mediates disputes as a facilitator and collaborates cases.
In addition to lecturing at the College of San Mateo in both real estate law and personal injury litigation, Phil has been a guest lecturer before several of the local Boards of Realtors and has participated on a real estate law panel on KCSM, Channel 60 television. He has served as president and a director of the San Carlos Chamber of Commerce and is a member of the San Carlos Rotary Club, Consumer Attorneys of California and of San Mateo County.
For many years, Mr. Shecter attended Summer Learning Forums at Harvard Law School directed by the Harvard Negotiation Insight Initiative with programs enhancing the skills of negotiation, mediation, and collaboration in conjuction with the behavioral sciences,such as "Beyond Yes: Deeper Wisdom and the Art of Negotiation".
Mr. Shecter has served on the Board of Directors of Damien House, a drop-in drug rehabilitation center and the San Mateo County Chapter of the American Cancer Society.
In 2015, Mr. Shecter was singled out as a Top Attorney of Northern California and a Top Attorney of San Francisco for excellence and achievement by the legal community. This election is made by peer recognition and professional achievement. He was also named by the Northern California Super Lawyers 2015, which only selects five percent of the licensed, active attorneys in the state of California. In 2015, he was also selected by the National Association of Distinguished Council as a member of the Nation's Top One Percent of Attorneys.
Areas of Practice
- Business Formation, Corporations, Partnerships, Agreements
- Business Legal Matters
- Business Dissolutions
- Employer/Employee Contracts
- Business and Real Estate Transitions
- Selling Stock or Passing Ownership
- Diversified Litigation
- Trial & Arbitration, Business Disputes, Personal Injury
- Trial & Arbitration, Malpractice & Property Damage Claims
- Mechanics Liens, Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Contractual Disputes, Consumer Actions
- Dispute Resolution Mediation, Family Law & Real Estate Arbitrations
- Divorce, Separation or Annulment
- Property Settlements
- Spousal & Child Support, Custody & Visitation Proceedings
- Enforcement of Court Orders & Judgments
- Paternity Actions
- Personal Injury/Property Damage Claims
- Insurance Disputes
- Consultation & Drafting of Wills, Trusts
- Medical Malpractice
- Power of Attorney, Handle Financial & Health Matters
- Represent Will Contest or Claims Against Estates
- Negotiate, Draft & Review Commercial Leases
- Review or Draft Contracts for Purchase/Sale of Real Estate
- Handle Landlord/Tenant Issues
- Negotiation and Collaboration Dispute Resolution in Family Law and Other Areas